Saturday, August 21, 2010

#2. Step 1: Finding a DSLR. Step 3: Profit! (Or not...)

As a newb, I'm looking for entry level cameras, not the latest and greatest. So far, I've researched the Sony A100 and the Canon XTi. If you're looking for in-depth reviews, DP Review goes beyond in depth. I've gotten a ton of information from their site.

Instead of just buying a camera on eBay or Amazon based on reviews, I wanted to actually hold one and test it out. I got my hands on my cousin's Canon XTi today and took lots of shots around the house with the 18-55mm and the 75-300mm.
As I stumbled across the house with the camera in tow, I realized I knew as much about the Manual setting on the DSLR as Palin knows about politics. Aka, nothing. I played around with the ISO, shutter speed, and f stops until I got something decent. 50 shots later...


ISO 800 ~ 38mm ~ f/5.0 ~ 1/30s


Nothing professional or amazing. Just another newb with a DSLR.


Later that evening, I went to take a look at a Sony Alpha 100. It had good reviews on Amazon and DP review, but the camera just did not feel right in my hands. I made up my mind that I will be purchasing either the Canon XTi or XSi.

Tonight, I found an old sturdy tripod, and took the XTi & 75-300mm outdoors to shoot some stars. Well, living in suburbia, I found that big neighborhoods with little boxes made of ticky tacky love their street lamps and theft prevention flood lamps. I decided to shoot the moon and the fountain instead. Following the DPfD (Digital Photography for Dummies) "Settings Finder", I got some pretty cool results.


ISO 100 ~ 300mm ~ f/11 ~ 1/125s





ISO 200 ~ 125mm ~ f/4.5 ~ 4s


There was a settings guide for waterfalls, but I had to adjust it because it's night. I set the shutter speed at 4s to get more light and to get the flow of water, although I think 3 or 2 might have been better... I also managed to get in some headlights.

Anyway, that's it for today.

O & D!
CT

No comments:

Post a Comment