Saturday, August 27, 2011

#41. Weekend DIYs.

I got my MacBook Pro back from Apple this weekend, and decided to do a few DIYs with the large box and foam inserts.

The 1st DIY is a Purse Camera bag.



Description:
"I've always wanted to make a purse into a camera bag, but didn't have the right materials. When my mac was shipped to my house after repair, it came with 2 giant sheets of foam and 1 smaller sheet.

It fits my 60D with a 28-300mm lens, 2 prime lenses, memory cards, spare battery, body cap, and cleaning cloth. (I'll make another video of the 60D with a prime on, and the tamron on the side. It all still fits.)

Now instead of lugging a big rectangular camera bag (that looks like a picnic cooler...), I can carry my camera stylishly! The foam is about an inch thick, so it'll withstand a beating."

The 2nd DIY is a Fig Rig.



Description:
"I made a Fig Rig from the same Mac shipment box used in the purse DIY.

The harder foam that came with the packaging had handles, and it was perfect for a steady cam rig! I cut out the shape on the cardboard box, cut them out, and secured it to both sides of the rig to make it more rigid. The rig is taller than it is wide, which makes it great for low to the ground shots as well; walking, skateboarding, etc.

I used my tripod quick release place to keep the camera on the rig. (I added 2 cardboard walls on each side so the camera wouldn't fall off.
That rig worked great with my prime lenses, but with my zoom lens, the camera kept falling forward.

The Tamron 28-300 is heavier than the 50mm. I used a shoe box lid as a base so that the camera wouldn't fall forward. I tried string first, and that failed miserably.
The shoe box lid works like a charm!

Here's a vid test of the rig. The handheld shot of this would have been too shaky to watch in full screen HD.

I added a mic cable pouch on the left. If I ever get a Rode video mic and LED video light, they would mount on the top."


The last thing made from a box was a panning rig. Nothing special, but it worked a lot better than rolling the car and then trying to get a panning shot manually. That was an epic fail...
Here's the panning rig:


I'll post the panning picture result soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment